Multiple Rockets Fired at US Military Base in Syria from Iraq

Iraqi security sources and a US official said that at least five rockets were launched from the Iraqi town of Zummar toward a US military base in northeastern Syria on Sunday, according to Reuters.

The rocket attack comes just a day after Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani returned from a visit to the United States, where he met with President Joe Biden at the White House. 

A Telegram group affiliated with the Iran-backed Kataib Hezbollah militia claimed that armed factions in Iraq had decided to resume attacks after seeing little progress in talks to end the US-led military coalition’s presence in the country. But Sabreen News, another popular Telegram group Kataib Hezbollah, later said that the Iran-backed faction had not issued any official statements.

A tweet by Iran’s supreme leader Ali Khamenei, posted an hour before reports of the rocket attacks surfaced, has been read as a “green light” for further escalation. It translates to “Trust in God, and know that God’s promise to defend believers is inevitable and will not be broken.”

The US has downplayed the attack, with one unnamed official describing it as a “failed rocket attack.” While official sources have not verified this information, the source claims that no US personnel were injured. It was also unclear whether the rockets were intercepted or whether they failed to hit the base. It also remains unconfirmed if the base was itself the target. 

Iraqi security forces and a senior army officer reported that a small truck with a rocket launcher fixed to its back had been parked in Zummar, a town on the border with Syria. The destroyed truck was seized for further investigation, with initial findings indicating it was targeted by an airstrike.

“Our security forces found the wheel from which the missiles were launched and burned it, and are still continuing the search operation to arrest the perpetrators and bring them to justice to receive their punishment,” the Iraqi Security Media Cell announced on Sunday.


Information for this story was found via Reuters, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

US-China 90-Day Tariff Reprieve Triggers Global Rally, But Trade Deficit Still Remains

After weeks of tariff volley, the US and China have agreed to slash reciprocal tariffs...

Monday, May 12, 2025, 10:09:26 AM

Philippines Does A 180 On US Relations, Offers More Military Bases Amid China-Taiwan Tension

According to a deal revealed Thursday, the United States will nearly quadruple its military presence...

Monday, February 6, 2023, 11:01:00 AM

Iran Warns Tehran Could Run Dry Within Weeks as Drought Persists

Iran’s capital could run out of water within weeks as the country faces its fifth...

Tuesday, August 12, 2025, 03:49:00 PM

Saudi Arabia Is Building a Post-War Middle East Security Pact, and the US and Israel Aren’t in It

Saudi Arabia has proposed a regional non-aggression pact between Middle Eastern states and Iran, modelled...

Friday, May 15, 2026, 02:29:03 AM

China Cuts Trillions From US Private Equity Market

Multiple state-backed funds in China—including China Investment Corporation—have halted new investments in PE firms, withdrawing...

Tuesday, April 22, 2025, 04:04:00 PM