Prigozhin Denies Reports that Wagner Is Leaving Ukraine

Wagner group founder Yevgeny Prigozhin has denied Bloomberg’s earlier report suggesting that the Russian mercenary group is tired of losing in Ukraine and is setting its sights more closely on Africa where it has deepening influence.

Prigozhin, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, said in a post on Telegram that he does not know what Bloomberg is reporting about.

“Apparently, they know better than myself what we will do further,” the Wagner leader wrote. “As long as we are needed by our nation, we will fight on the territory of Ukraine.”

Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the matter, said that Prigozhin is scaling back Wagner’s Ukraine operations after Russian military chiefs cut key supplies of munitions and manpower. A top Russian military official reportedly interfered to divert Wagner’s prison recruitment scheme to the Defense Ministry, effectively cutting off Prigozhin’s main source of recruits.

The cuts came as Prigozhin continued to draw criticism from senior military officials as Bakhmut, Wagner’s main target in Ukraine, remains elusive after months of attempts and heavy casualties. Prigozhin publicly criticized Russia’s Ministry of Defense (MoD) and blamed military chiefs for his group’s failures in Bakhmut.

Earlier in March, Col. Serhiy Cherevaty, a spokesman for Ukraine’s eastern group of forces called Bakhmut Wagner’s “last stand.” Ukrainian officials said that 30,000 of Wagner’s 50,000 men have either deserted, or were killed or wounded mostly around the Bakhmut in what would be the longest battle of Russia’s war in Ukraine.

A recent update from the Institute for the Study of War says that the Wagner leader has “softened his rhetoric” towards the MoD. Prigozhin expressed concerns over a possible Ukrainian counteroffensive at the eastern border, and warned the Russian military and media to “stop underestimating Ukrainian forces and engaging internal conflicts.”

While Prigozhin denies scaling down operations in Ukraine, he has recently called more attention to Wagner’s operations in the African region, even taunting US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in a letter that was also posted on Telegram.


Information for this briefing was found via Radio Liberty, Bloomberg, the New York Times, Reuters, ISW, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Son of Mango Founder Arrested Over Billionaire Father’s Fatal Cliff Fall

Related News

Russia Will Limit Retail Investor Access To Shares From ‘Unfriendly’ Countries

Beginning October 1, the Bank of Russia will apply restrictions on retail investors’ access to...

Monday, September 12, 2022, 09:33:59 AM

It’s Bond, Russia’s Bond: Will Creditors Be Paid?

A looming debt crisis adds a dark cloud to the ongoing war in Ukraine. Russia’s...

Tuesday, March 8, 2022, 09:31:30 AM

Beijing Denies Zelensky’s Claims of Arming Russia in Ukraine War

China’s Foreign Ministry on Thursday rejected accusations by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that Beijing is...

Friday, April 18, 2025, 11:08:00 AM

Russia Considers Banning Uranium Exports; Could Cause a Further Jump in Uranium Prices

Citing comments by Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak, the Russian state news agency TASS reported...

Sunday, March 27, 2022, 09:00:00 AM

Russia To Boost Defense Budget by 25% In 2025, Reaching Record High

Russia has announced plans to increase its defense spending by 25% to a record high...

Wednesday, October 2, 2024, 04:25:00 PM