Monday, May 18, 2026

Swedish Ex-Defense Chief, Former NATO Skeptic, Urges Article 4 Talks Over Baltic Threats

Sweden’s former defense minister, who once vowed his country would never join NATO while he held office, has called for the alliance to invoke Article 4 consultations over recent security incidents in the Baltic Sea, including suspected sabotage of undersea infrastructure.

Peter Hultqvist, now defense spokesperson for the opposition Social Democrats, urged the government to seek NATO-wide talks after Finland detained a vessel suspected of damaging an undersea power cable last week. His call for NATO intervention marks a stark shift from October 2022, when as defense minister he opposed Swedish NATO membership, saying it would “fundamentally change the security line” in the region.

“We need to take an overall look at having an overall NATO strategy,” Hultqvist told reporters, warning that “hybrid activities” in the Baltic Sea showed no signs of stopping.

Read: Finland Seizes Suspected Russian ‘Shadow Fleet’ Tanker After Cable Damage

Article 4 of the NATO treaty allows member states to request consultations when they perceive threats to their territorial integrity or security. The mechanism has only been activated seven times in NATO’s history.

Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard said in a written comment to TT newswire that the government was monitoring the situation closely and “rules out nothing” but stressed the importance of maintaining composure, using the Swedish expression of keeping “ice in the stomach.”

The push for NATO consultations comes amid growing concern over the security of critical infrastructure in the strategically important waterway. Hultqvist called for coordinated discussions among Baltic Sea nations within NATO’s North Atlantic Council.

“These activities are about sabotaging our daily operations and creating a situation of confusion and anxiety,” Hultqvist said, adding that current strategies were insufficient for addressing long-term tensions in the region. “We must expect a relatively high level of tension for a long time to come.”

Stenergard welcomed NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte’s announcement of an increased alliance presence in the Baltic Sea.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

‘Big Success’: Trump Secures NATO Agreement to More Than Double Defense Spending

NATO allies agreed this week to dramatically increase defense spending to 5% of their gross...

Thursday, June 26, 2025, 12:54:00 PM

Baltic Sea Cables Cut in Suspected Russian Sabotage, European Officials Say

Two major underwater fiber-optic cables in the Baltic Sea were severed this week in what...

Wednesday, November 20, 2024, 07:24:42 AM

‘We’re Guarding Against Russia. It’s A Little Ridiculous,’ Trump Says As He Slams NATO

US President Donald Trump has sharply criticized the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, calling the alliance’s...

Monday, April 13, 2026, 10:12:57 AM

Canada’s NATO Defense Spending to Fall Shorter Than the Government Projects, Watchdog Reports

Canada’s Parliamentary Budget Officer (PBO) Yves Giroux has bad news for Canada’s North Atlantic Treaty...

Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 07:10:00 AM

UK Proposes Alternative Ukraine Peace Path After White House Showdown

Britain pledged military and financial support for Ukraine totaling about £4 billion on Sunday as...

Monday, March 3, 2025, 04:24:00 PM