Militants Launch Mortars at US Troops Constructing Gaza Aid Pier

Militants launched mortar rounds at American forces marshaling in the area to construct a floating pier in Gaza, US officials confirmed Thursday. 

The mortar attack caused minimal damage but highlighted the vulnerability of the operation aimed at getting desperately needed food supplies into the war-torn region.

While US ships involved remain offshore for now, American troops were working on assembling the pier structure miles from Gaza when the mortars struck their staging area, according to the Pentagon. Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder said the pier itself is still “nowhere near mortar range.”

US President Joe Biden announced the temporary maritime corridor and pier plan last month amid rising alarm about potential mass starvation in the war zone and Israel’s continued reluctance to allow aid into Gaza.

Early this month, Israeli air strikes repeatedly hit a convoy of aid workers as they drove out of a World Central Kitchen (WCK) warehouse. Palestinian Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha, British citizens John Chapman, James Kirby and James Henderson, US-Canadian citizen Jacob Flickinger, Australian Lalzawmi Frankcom, and Polish citizen Damiam Sobol were killed in the attack. The aid workers were on vehicles that bore the WCK logo on their roofs and were said to be traveling through a pre-approved route and had coordinated with the Israel Defense Forces.

Once completed in early May, the floating pier and causeway will facilitate the delivery of up to 150 aid trucks per day from humanitarian vessels into Gaza, supplementing existing routes. 


Information for this story was found via the Washington Post, AP News, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Hamas Thanks Canada for Backing Ceasefire in Gaza

Canada’s recent support for a non-binding United Nations resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza...

Thursday, December 21, 2023, 12:56:00 PM

Rafah Hit by Israeli Airstrike: Displaced Palestinians Among the Dead

A devastating airstrike by Israeli forces has struck a refugee camp in Rafah, Gaza Strip,...

Monday, May 27, 2024, 02:24:13 PM

Rubio: Canada’s Gazan Refugee Policy Poses U.S. Security Risk, Calls for Action

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio has called for heightened security measures along the U.S.-Canada border in...

Friday, July 26, 2024, 12:14:00 PM

Suez Canal Revenues Plummet Amid Red Sea Instability

Suez Canal revenues plummeted by 64.3% year-on-year in May, reaching only $337.8 million due to...

Thursday, June 13, 2024, 10:49:00 AM

Canada Expands Gaza Visa Program Cap from 1,000 to 5,000

Immigration Minister Marc Miller on Monday testified before the House immigration committee about the ongoing...

Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 07:47:30 AM