Navarro Denies Pushing for Canada’s Removal from Five Eyes Alliance

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro forcefully denied reports that he proposed ejecting Canada from the “Five Eyes” intelligence alliance, calling the suggestion “crazy stuff” amid escalating trade tensions between the neighboring countries.

“We would never, ever jeopardize our national security ever with allies like Canada. Ever,” Navarro told reporters in Washington on Tuesday, responding to a Financial Times report that cited sources familiar with his efforts.

The Five Eyes, comprising the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand, represents one of the world’s most comprehensive intelligence-sharing networks.

The news comes as US-Canada relations face multiple pressures, including President Donald Trump’s threat to impose 25% tariffs on Canadian imports starting March 4, additional steel and aluminum tariffs set for March 12, and repeated comments about making Canada “the 51st state” (with Trump and adviser Elon Musk calling Prime Minister Justin Trudeau “Governor Trudeau”).

Canadian officials downplayed the report, with Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne defending his country’s role in the intelligence partnership.

“Canada is respected. Canada is valued. Canada is essential to a lot of the intelligence and security work that is being done to protect our citizens,” Champagne told reporters in Montreal.

Vincent Rigby, Trudeau’s former national security adviser, suggested there might be “serious smoke” behind the report, noting that intelligence sharing had been used as a pressure tactic during Trump’s first term.

“There were subtle hints that this was a measure that could potentially be applied in an extreme case,” Rigby told CTV News.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

This Gold Restart Story Could Be Moving Faster Than Expected | Shaun Heinrichs – 1911

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Auto Sector Faces Uncertain Future as US-Canada Trade Tensions Escalate

Canada’s automotive sector stands at a critical juncture as recently implemented US tariffs threaten its...

Monday, May 12, 2025, 12:10:00 PM

Trudeau Is Answering Trump’s Reciprocal Tariffs With Own Reciprocal Tariffs

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced sweeping 25% retaliatory tariffs on $155 billion worth of American...

Tuesday, March 4, 2025, 10:10:00 AM

Trump to Canada: Join US as 51st State or Face Tariffs

President Donald Trump has intensified his push to make Canada the 51st state, moving beyond...

Friday, January 24, 2025, 03:43:00 PM

Canada Blocks Tesla From EV Rebates

Canada has frozen all electric vehicle rebate payments for Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) and banned the...

Thursday, March 27, 2025, 02:56:00 PM

Canada Aligning With Europe’s Military Circle Amid Tensions With US

Canada is reportedly on the verge of a landmark agreement to collaborate with the EU...

Thursday, March 20, 2025, 10:18:00 AM