Argentina: Gun Jams In Attempt To Assassinate Vice President

Argentina Vice President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner is unharmed after a gunman tried to shoot her down, almost point blank, on Thursday.

The incident ocurred outside of Fernández de Kirchner’s home. She was returning from court, where she faces corruption allegations, and she denies all charges. 

The gunman slipped through a mob of the vice president’s supporters and attempted to shoot Fernández de Kirchner in the face. The gun was loaded with five bullets but failed to fire when it was triggered. 

“Cristina is still alive because — for some reason, we can’t technically confirm at this moment — the weapon, which was armed with five bullets, did not shoot although the trigger was pulled,” said Argentina President Alberto Fernández in a televised address on Thursday night.

The police are trying to establish a motive for the attack. The gunman, meanwhile, has been identified as a 35-year-old Brazilian Fernando Andre Sabag Montiel, according to Argentina’s official news agency, Télam. He was taken into custody almost immediately after the attempt. 

Via Reuters

Fernández de Kirchner, a left-leaning populist, was Argentina’s president from 2007 to 2015. Before that, she was the country’s first lady. She is currently accused of corruption during her time as the country’s president. A federal prosecutor in August called for Fernández de Kirchner to serve a 12-year sentence but the court is yet to rule on the request.

President Fernández called the assassination attempt an attack on democracy. “We must eradicate hate and violence from our media and political discourse,” he said. He declared Friday a national holiday for the country in support of Fernández de Kirchner. 


Information for this briefing was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Valens: Canaccord Drops Price Target To $3.50 Following Earnings

Last week, The Valens Company (TSX: VLNS) reported fourth quarter and year end financial results....

Monday, March 1, 2021, 10:38:00 AM

Goldman Sachs’ David Solomon Pushes Pause On DJ Career

The world of Wall Street and DJ decks rarely mix, but for Goldman Sachs’ CEO,...

Tuesday, October 17, 2023, 06:47:00 AM

Patriot Battery Metals Identifies New Spodumene Pegmatite At Corvette

Patriot Battery Metals (TSX: PMET) is reporting the discovery of an additional spodumene pegmatite occurrence...

Monday, March 25, 2024, 08:37:09 AM

Nancy Pelosi to Step Down as House Democratic Leader

It’s official: Nancy Pelosi is finally abdicating her role as the Democratic congressional leader after...

Thursday, November 17, 2022, 01:53:49 PM

More Blackouts Coming To The US This Summer

Summer in most of the US and parts of Canada will come with increased blackout...

Friday, May 12, 2023, 04:04:00 PM