Court Rejects Competition Bureau’s Request to Block Rogers-Shaw Merger

Canada’s Federal Court of Appeal has dismissed the Competition Bureau’s request to block Rogers Communications (TSX: RCI.B) CA$20 billion (US$14.9 billion) takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. (TSX: SJR)

The decision effectively clears one of the final hurdles preventing the merger, which was first proposed in 2021, to push through. It will now only need the approval of federal Innovation Minister François-Philippe Champagne.

READ: Was The Competition Tribunal’s Decision On Rogers-Shaw Merger Rushed?

The minister has previously said that he would not allow the deal to be consummated as it is originally structured, even with Shaw agreeing to divest its subsidiary Freedom Mobile to Videotron, a subsidiary of Quebecor (TSX: QBR.B)

The minister said on Tuesday that he will be reviewing the ruling and will “render a decision in due course.”

Canadians on social media are unhappy about the decision, especially after a nationwide outage in 2021 that affected millions of consumers, small businesses, as well as smaller internet service providers, and demonstrated why it would not be beneficial for Canadians to rely on essential connectivity services from an oligopoly, much less an entity made even larger via a merger.

READ: Rogers Canada-Wide Outage Demonstrates Why A Merger With Shaw Is Probably A Bad Idea

As of this writing, close to 35,000 people have also already signed an online petition started by the Kill the Deal coalition. The petition highlights that based on a survey done over the summer, 80% of Canadians — like the Competition Bureau — are opposed to the #ShawGers merger, and believe that it must be stopped to “protect Canadians from higher prices, poorer service quality and fewer choices, particularly in wireless services.”


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Competition Bureau Sues Rogers For Falsely Advertising “Unlimited” Data Plans

The Competition Bureau of Canada has filed a legal suit against Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX:...

Tuesday, December 24, 2024, 07:29:49 AM

Rogers Hikes Sportsnet+ Prices Up to 30%, Sparking Fan Backlash

Canadian sports broadcaster Rogers notified subscribers Thursday of steep price increases for Sportsnet+ streaming plans,...

Friday, July 11, 2025, 12:31:00 PM

Rogers Posts Q3 2025 Net Income Surge To $5.8B Post-MLSE Deal

Rogers Communications (TSX: RCI.B) reported its Q3 2025 financials, with revenue at $5.35 billion, up...

Thursday, October 23, 2025, 10:39:00 AM

Rogers Communications Intends To Oppose Commissioner of Competition’s Objection To Merger With Shaw

Rogers Communications (TSX: RCI.B) announced on Saturday that it was notified of the Commissioner of Competition’s...

Monday, May 9, 2022, 11:42:00 AM

Canadians Are Paying Too Much For Internet Services – And Telecom Regulators Want To Change That

Canadians are paying exceptionally high prices for internet services— the highest among international counterparts, to...

Thursday, January 26, 2023, 07:33:00 AM